Monday, December 14, 2009

Fishing for Men and Hunting for Gazelle In Bondo, Kenya


Wow! So much has happened this week I am not sure where to start and I am not sure I can fit it all into one journal entry but I will try.
Let me preface this entry by saying that all that took place this week was an answer to prayers in a way that could only be credited to the glory of God. On Tuesday of this week Pastor Peter, Kennedy, Chad Harris and I loaded up camping gear and headed to a town called Bondo which is located near Lake Victoria along the border of Uganda.

Our mission was to reach Kennedy’s family with the gospel as his mother had been saved last month and he was burdened for his father and siblings as well.
In addition to ministry work we took a day off to go traditional hunting which was something I have been wanting to do since I arrived in country. I will get back to that after I share the blessings of how God answers the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man. The trip from Eldoret was almost 300kms and we arrived at Kennedy’s home late to set up tents. Chad Harris who is a Missionary I met here in Eldoret was the man to set up the tents in the dark.
Thank God someone knew how to set up tents with their eyes closed.

I will also get back to Chad later. After setting up in the family compound we were invited to share God’s Word with around 20 family members who were present that evening.
For one hour I shared God’s love through God’s plan of salvation. When someone or some event is prepared by much prayer God’s Spirit is able to move with great liberty while his Word is proclaimed. That is exactly what happened each day as people all over Kenya and the USA have been praying for this trip and this family. The first night 7 of Kennedy’s family made professions of faith including his father who was an extremely hard man. From that point on throughout the week Kennedy’s father had such a change in countenance. As each day passed and we taught him and his family the Word of God through daily devotions he became filled with so much joy. It was an amazing transformation that took place right before our eyes and in a matter of a few days.
In addition to nightly devotions we did house to house evangelism through the region of Kennedy’s home. Many of his cousins and neighbors came to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ in addition to those in his family. This was the direct answer to the prayers of a faithful young man for His family.

There were a total of 13 that made professions of faith. So with our primary mission accomplished we set out to fulfill our secondary goal which was strictly a desire of my heart and that was to go traditional hunting for Antelope and Gazelle.                                                                                               PRACTICE

After unsuccessfully soliciting my friends and missionaries here in Kenya to take me hunting I meet Chad Harris who is an avid hunter from Ohio. Upon telling him of my heart’s desire he said “count me in” when you are ready.                                                                HUNTING PARTY

Little did I know that Kennedy who I led to Christ several months ago would be the key to our hunting trip as he is from what is probably the best hunting area in the country, “Bondo”. After getting a permit from the Office of the President of Kenya for hunting, Kennedy organized a hunt that was something beyond imagination. I was under the impression we would be hunting with around 20 people and dogs but in reality we hunted in the middle of five hunting sections that had a total over 3000 people and 1000 dogs. It was the most insane thing I have ever been a part of.

We arrived at the site late and so we rushed into the wooded area only to find people and animals running everywhere. Pastor Peter and Chad had the best opportunities of the day to actually throw their spears at running Antelope and Gazelles. I was not so lucky.

After about two hours Pastor Pete and Chad stopped hunting as Chad pulled a muscle chasing a huge antelope.



As they headed back to the truck to rest I looked for the most respected hunter with a dog that looked like he had blood on him from a previous kill. I found a young man named Martin who put me in the middle of the action.

I was present to see several animals taken and was given a heart, liver and ribs just because I was there.


There was one anxious moment when I found myself in the middle of a group of men wielding machetes and spears and fighting over a gazelle that had just been killed. In any case they resolved the dispute without bloodshed as I managed to slip out of harm’s way. The experience of traditional hunting was one of the most deeply rooted cultural experiences I have had since arriving in country. This week has also drawn the four of  us closer than before. Terry was as usual a super trooper as she spent four days by herself for the first time since we started our mission work here. She also survived to tell the story and I thank God for her. Sunday we visited Landmark Baptist of Mawe Tatu (3 Stones) to find Pastor Shadrach and Church doing well. These folks really love the Lord and their young Pastor who is one of the finest in our work. Pastor Shadrach has already secured his place for next year’s trip to Bondo. With all that was accomplished this week I can’t help but to think of God’s providential intervention in the life of one young welder fabricator who came to Christ and is growing into a strong young Christian man. God is able and God is in control.
God Bless,


Bro. Chuck & Sis. Terry Fernandez

Kenya





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comments for Chuck & Terry....God Bless