Monday, February 27, 2012

Hunters Special:Walk & Stalk Antelope & Gazelle

Bow Hunting
For those of you who are hunters, let me preface this blog entry by saying that I am
 #1 a fisher of men and
 #2 an inshore angler from Florida who has little experience with bow hunting.
 So please keep that in mind as I pass through your court of hunting judgment.
Also, keep in mind that we are using traditional bows hand made by the Pokot tribe and that this hunt was as much about the fellowship with my hunting buddy, Chad Harris, who I am only able to go hunting with one time per year.
He has become a good friend and is the only friend I have here in Kenya that is willing to spend this type of time doing something we thoroughly enjoy together.
Day One: The first area we hunted was very rocky with steep hills covered with scrub brush. We probably violated every rule of effectively walking and stalking on this first day as we were just learning how and where to hunt for the animals. For example, we must have had 8 men and a dozen curious children following us as we made our way to the top of the mountain to glass for antelope and gazelle.  
Glassing
In addition to the large hunting party, we had the wind at our backs the entire time. Needless to say, we saw nothing other than a stray calf that I almost accidently shot after climbing and trekking many miles through this rocky and rough terrain. Remember, this is the first time we have ever hunted in this area and we were learning,
............... even if it was what not to do!
I think the only thing we had correct was that we hunted in the late evening until it was dark. With that said we did not fully understand how difficult it would be climbing down the steep rocky paths in the dark, but once again this is something we figured out the hard way. 
Day 2: Started before dawn and we decided to change strategies by looking for a water source to hunt and by going out alone without all the observers. We had a local guide take us to the closest watering hole since it had not rained in several months and the land was parched.   Hiking
Once we arrived at the water hole we found it is was not atypical as it was a man made reservoir with 8ft. high banks that did not lend access to what we hoped would be herds of animals. We stalked around the water hole for about an hour only to see two small gazelles and one rabbit running away from us at break neck speed.
This was definitely not what we expected.
After another hour I told Chad that we needed to move to a different area as this is the only experience I have from inshore fishing.
If I am not catching fish, I am moving to a place where I am.
The move was mid way up the mountain we had climbed the day before but this time we found a huge valley that was full of green vegetation. With the wind in our faces we found what we had been looking for, both antelope and gazelle.
They were not in herds but individual animals hiding amongst the scrubs in this valley that we would flush out and then stalk to get a shot.
My opportunity came when my guide flushed out a nice gazelle that surprised me by walking into the area I was waiting with a 30 yd. broadside shot.
 
I am not sure what I was waiting for but I was not ready in such a short notice and by the time I decided to draw my bow, he moved on.
Little did I know that would be my only real opportunity to take a shot at a gazelle.
For me, it was just exciting to be in God’s creation with a friend and having the opportunity of life time to bow hunt gazelle and antelope in wild Africa.
We stalked several more nice Antelope on this day but could not get close enough for another shot.
 Day 3: This last hunt we returned to the same valley where we had seen the animals in the morning but they were nowhere to be found. Desperate to shot something we stalked monkeys and guinea fowls for several hours to no avail. We learned a lot on this hunt, although unsuccessful, but rest assured that this for me was as much about the fellowship with a friend as it was the hunt.  Overlook
 
It was also an opportunity to come apart from the Work as I learned a long time ago the hard way that if you do not come apart from God’s work from time to time, you will fall apart. 
          MRE'S......Military Ready to Eat
Thank you for allowing us to share this unique experience with you.
In closing, if any of you are real hunters, you are more than welcome to visit Kenya and show me how to do it. 
God Bless,
Bro. Chuck Fernandez
Kenya


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comments for Chuck & Terry....God Bless