Monday, October 26, 2009

Repairs, Malaria & Grounded...Oct 25, 2009

This week we were able to make needed repairs to the church at Napetet Village here in Lodwar as well as continue needed repairs to the house here in Turkana. When we were here in 2006 we were able to help
transport and deliver a steel gate to the Church. The gate is designed to be big enough to drive a vehicle into the compound and also has a pedestrian door that allows foot traffic. Three years later the pedestrian door has broken off and needed to be welded.
Pastor Michael got a ridiculous price from a welder in town that they could not afford. So Tuesday I brought my welder with Bro. Eddie’s diesel generator and we repaired the gate so the compound can be secured again. Wednesday and Thursday I made needed repairs to our

shower here at the house. As you can see from the pictures I made the repair with the materials that were available here in Turkana.
Sometimes life on the foreign field is just like life in America only you don’t have everything you need at your finger tips. By the time Friday afternoon came around I started feeling weird like being lightheaded. Friday evening I developed a high fever and started feeling achy from head to toe. Terry said Friday night I was talking out of my head. I don’t remember what I said but I knew I was miserable. After talking to other missionaries they agreed that I had all the symptoms of Malaria. Saturday morning I started taking  Malaria medicine that Dr. Hugo Mallozzi had left with us from the
Mac Med campaign in January.
Saturday evening was the worst of the two
days as I felt like was sleeping in a pool of water from fever, feeling cold, aching joints and light headed. Unable to hardly function we could not to go to visitation on Saturday or Church on Sunday. After 16 pills of Malaria medicine I feel like I am turning the corner now. As I write this Monday morning my fever seems to be broke, I am not as sore and my head is not spinning.
Today I will take the last of the malaria medicine and prayerfully will continue to improve as we have marriage seminar to teach on Thursday and Friday. You may be wondering how you get malaria in the desert?

Well, the house is on the Turquel River and there are mosquito’s caring the virus here by the thousands. I have been bite several times in the evening by going outside to get something out of the truck or checking on the dog. All it takes is one bite.
I have been reminded that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose. Having malaria has also given me a greater appreciation for men that have had it without modern day medicine for a cure or no meds at all.
I was reminded of my father and Terry’s father who both served their country in Viet Nam two and three tours and experienced this illness while fighting for our country. My thoughts and heart went out to the missionaries of old who did not have any meds at all and often died from it. I thank God for those men and also say thank you to all who have prayed for me over the last few days.

Chuck & Terry Fernandez


Kenya, East Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comments for Chuck & Terry....God Bless